Monday 27 January 2014

How I stumbled into a [kind of] "crunchy" lifestyle

   If you were to ask me to describe my lifestyle I wouldn't say I am "crunchy". I would tell you that I am just one mama with two hands doing her best to give her littles the best possible start in this big crazy world. Urban dictionary defines "crunchy mama" as..... 

{"Mother who supports homebirth, breastfeeding, baby wearing, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, gentle discipline, etc. One who questions established medical authority; tends to be vegetarian and/or prepare all-organic foods. See crunchy and hippie."}

So I suppose since I had a natural hospital birth with Jack, breastfeed (even in public *gasp*), baby wear, cloth diaper, co-sleep,  eat meat, and don't prepare all organic foods (ain't nobody got time for that). I could be described as "kind of crunchy", or "light on the crunch" if you will. 

Anyway... I did not set out to be crunchy. I did not plan on cloth diapering, baby wearing, or co sleeping. And no a natural birth was not on my to do list either....nope. Here I am though, with a babe with a sensitive tush that breaks out from disposable diapers. A babe that refuses to be put down at.all most days and is happy as a clam wrapped up on my chest. A babe that sleeps so much better snuggled up next to his mama for the night. OH and although I am glad it turned out the way it did I did not plan on a natural birth. After 4 hours of labor though there really isn't time for any other kind. And to add to that list my breastfeeding babe happens to have a milk protein allergy so I eat dairy free. Does that count as crunchy? I'm going to say yes, just because I can.

Big sister Aubrey was a very easy baby. So all of this is new to me! I am just trying to go with the flow (and my instincts) and care for this baby and his big sister the best way that I can. I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.

PS: No I am not a hippie. I do not wear tie died shirts or have dread locks, and no my name is not flower...although that would be pretty awesome.


No comments:

Post a Comment