Wednesday 15 October 2014

Why I haven't responded to your message. An open letter to friends and family.


Dear friends and family.

I am fully aware that I am hard to get a hold of. You may have sent me a Facebook message. Or maybe you called me and left a voicemail. Now you are sitting there wondering why I am ignoring your message. The answer to your message could be so so simple. A short "yes I did", or "sure, see you tomorrow", would have sufficed. So why haven't I gotten back to you? Well folks. Life with a wild  active fourteen month old is busy. If I got as far as receiving your message, I have likely tried numerous times to carve out the minute or two that it would take to get back to you. I sat down at my desk and turned on my computer or picked up the phone with every intention of getting back to you. Chances are one, or more, of the following things happened....

1. Jack ninja swiped everything, everything, off of my desk in one swift motion. At least one of these things whacked him in the head so now he is crying.

2. I sat Jack down beside me with a quiet activity. One that I likely found on Pinterest which promised to keep kids busy. Said activity kept him occupied for about 2 seconds. After that he jail broke the safety latch off of the craft cupboard. So now Jack is running around the kitchen with a pair of craft scissors while I try to lure him back towards me with a box of goldfish crackers.

3. I set him up in the next room, still in view,  with his favourite toys. He started playing quietly so I tiptoed out of the room. I was just about to sit down when I see something fly across the room out of the corner of my eye (no it wasn't Jack).  I come back into the room and every dvd is sprawled across the floor, along with all of the clean laundry that I had just folded nicely and placed in a basket. Jack is now sitting in the basket.

4.  I placed Jack in our pack and play in front of a TV show with a few toys. At this point it may or may not have been educational, probably not. I walk away. This is his signal to start chanting "Mom, mom, mom, mom, MOMMMMMM", a gazillion times, loud enough for the neighbours to hear.

And I'm done.

So if you are waiting for me to get back to you, I promise I will. Eventually. At nap time. After I attempt to clean up the giant mess that this kid made and begin to tackle the ginormous mountain of laundry that has accumulated in random piles around the house. Or I will just rock back and forth in a corner until he wakes up again. Kidding.... Mostly.

If you are a fellow mom of a wild child I salute you. Lets get together and tag team baby watching, and wine drinking  message replying.

*note- Jack is taking a nap at this very moment, messages are up to date, and I totally typed this up instead of doing my laundry. *rebel*


No comments:

Post a Comment